CURRICULUM VITAE - Prof. Vladimír Frecer
Position: Scientific Director ICARST n.o.
Affiliation, Address: Faculty of Pharmacy, Comenius University, Odbojarov 10, Bratislava 83232, Slovakia
Education (degrees, universities, dates)
1981 MSc. Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
1989 PhD. Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
2012 DSc., Biophysics, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
2015 Assoc. Prof., Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Career, Employment (employers, positions, dates)
1983 - 2010 Slovak Academy of Science, Cancer Research Institute, Researcher
2010 - present Assist. Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
2011 - present Scientific Director, ICARST n.o., Bratislava, Slovakia
1989 - 1991 Mount Sinai School of Medicine, City University of New York, New York, NY, USA
1991 - 1992 International Centre for Science and High Technology, UNIDO, AREA Science Park, Trieste, Italy
1993 Institute of General, Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
1993 - 1994 National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
1995 Graduate School and University Center, City University of New York, New York, NY, USA
1995 - 1996 Researcher at Poly-Bios, AREA Science Park, Trieste, Italy
1996 - 1997 Faculty of Chemistry, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
1997 - 2000 Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, Singapore
2000 - 2009 International Centre for Science and High Technology, UNIDO, AREA Science Park, Trieste, Italy
Main interests of Prof. Frecer include computer-assisted combinatorial chemistry and molecular design, computational chemistry, physical, medicinal and polymer chemistry. During last two decades he was involved in molecular design of bioactive compounds with potential antiviral and antibacterial effects
Expertise in protease inhibitor design, ligand-receptor interactions, homology protein modeling, molecular dynamics and ligand docking studies, electrostatic interactions in macromolecules, continuum and discrete models of solvation, modeling of small molecules and macromolecules, structure-based molecular design, elucidation of molecular mechanism of action, quantitative structure-activity relationships, ab initio quantum chemistry, and others.
Honors, Awards, Fellowships, Membership of Professional Societies
Slovak Chemical Society
Slovak Biophysical Society
Slovak Pharmaceutical Society
European Association for Cancer Research
Publications (list of 10 selected recent publications)
1. Dali, B., Keita, M., Megnassan, E., Frecer, V., Miertuš, S.: Insight into selectivity of peptidomimetic inhibitors with modified statine core for plasmepsin II of Plasmodium falciparum over human cathepsin D. Chem. Biol. Drug Des. 79(4), 411-430 (2012).
2. Toti, K. S., Verbeke, F., Risseeuw, M. D. P., Frecer, V., Munier-Lehmann, H., Van Calenbergh, S.: Synthesis and evaluation of 5'-modified thymidines and 5-hydroxymethyl-2'-deoxyuridines as M. tuberculosis thymidylate kinase inhibitors. Bioorgan. Med. Chem. 21(1), 257-268 (2013).
3. Berti F., Frecer V., Miertuš S.: Inhibitors of HIV-protease from computational design. A history of theory and synthesis still to be fully appreciated. Curr. Pharm. Des. 20(21), 3398-3411 (2014).
4. Udommaneethanakit T., Rungrotmongkol T., Frecer V., Seneci P., Miertus S., Bren U.: Drugs against avian influenza A virus: Design of novel sulfonate inhibitors of neuraminidase N1. Curr. Pharm. Des. 20(21), 3478-3487 (2014).
5. Svetlik, J., Pronayova, N., Svorc, L., Frecer, V.: A complicated path of salicylaldehyde through the Biginelli reaction: a case of unexpected spiroketalization. Tetrahedron 70(44), 8354-8360 (2014).
6. Kollar J., Frecer, V.: Selective inhibitors of zinc-dependent histone deacetylases. Therapeutic targets relevant to cancer. Curr. Pharm. Des. 21(11), 1472-1502 (2015).
7. Owono Owono, L. C., Ntie-Kang, F., Keita, M., Megnassan, E., Frecer, V., Miertuš, S.: Virtually designed triclosan-based inhibitors of enoyl-acyl carrier protein reductase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and of Plasmodium falciparum. Mol. Inform. 34(5), 292-307 (2015).
8. Kouassi AF, Kone M, Keita M, Esmel A, Megnassan E, N'Guessan YT, Frecer V, Miertuš S.: Computer-aided design of orally bioavailable pyrrolidine carboxamide inhibitors of enoyl-acyl carrier protein reductase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with favorable pharmacokinetic profiles. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 16(12), 29744-29771 (2015).
9. Svetlik, J., Pronayova, N., Frecer, V., Ciez, D.: Three-component reaction and organocatalysis in one: synthesis of densely substituted 4-aminochromanes. Tetrahedron 72(47), 7620-7627 (2016).
10. Hajzer, V., Fišera, R., Latika, A., Durmis, J., Kollár, J., Frecer, V., Tučeková, Z., Miertuš, S., Kostolanský, F., Varečková, E., Šebesta, R.: Stereoisomers of oseltamivir - synthesis, in silico prediction and biological evaluation. Org. Biomol. Chem. 15(8), 1828-1841 (2017).