CURRICULUM VITAE - Prof. Stanislav Miertuš
Position: Director General of ICARST n.o.Affiliation, Address: Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius, Nam. J. Herdu 2, Trnava 91701, Slovakia
Education (degrees, universities, dates)
1971 MSc. Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
1975 PhD. Polymer Institute, Slovak Academy of Science, Bratislava, Slovakia
1988 DSc. Biophysical Chemistry, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
1990 Full Professor Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
2008 Dr.h.c. Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Career, Employment (employers, positions, dates)
1971 - 1981 Slovak Academy of Science, Polymer Institute, Researcher
1981 - 1989 Slovak Technical University, Faculty of Chemical Technology, Lecturer
1989 - 1992 Full Professor, Slovak University of Technology, Faculty of Chemical Technology, Bratislava
1990 - 1992 fellow and senior researcher IIC UNIDO Trieste, Italy
1993 - 1994 Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry, University of Pisa, Italy
1995 Research consultant of the ICGEB, Trieste, Italy
1994 - 1998 Project leader at Poly-Bios, AREA Science Park, Trieste, Italy
1998 Contracting Professor at Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Trieste, Italy
1998 - 2010 Area Director and deputy Managing Directer at International Centre of Science and High Technology, UNIDO, AREA Scinece Park, Trieste, Italy
2011 - present Director General, ICARST, Bratislava, Slovakia
2013 - present Professor, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of SS. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava, Slovakia
1977 - 1979 University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
1978 Institut de Chimie Biophysique, Paris, France
1978 University of Milan, Milan, Italy
1988 Mount Sinai School of Medicine, City Univ. of New York, USA
1992 - 1994 Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry, University of Pisa, Italy
Main interest over the last years has been in the study of catalysis, biofuels and biobased chemicals, environmentally degradable plastics, bioremediation technologies, combinatorial chemistry, computational chemistry and drug design.
AISD research, computer modelling of biomacromolecular structure and interactions (oligo-, poly-saccharides, proteins, DNA) and drug design; biosensors development and their industrial applications in the area of food and pharmaceutical industries, biotechnology and environmental pollution monitoring. Theoretical chemistry, spectroscopy, bioanalytical chemistry.
Membership of Professional Societies
Member of American Academy of Advancement of Sciences
Member and Chairman of PAC MPOB, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member of expert group CEI, Trieste, Italy
Member of Steering Committee EC Project PLASTICE
Fellow of World Academy of Arts and Sciences, USA
Member of commision for PhD study - Applied analytical and bioanalytical chemistry, UCM, Trnava, Slovakia
Member of commsion for PhD study - Molecular biology, UCM, Trnava, Slovakia
Honorary member of Scientific Board FCHFT SUT, Bratislava, Slovakia
Member of Scientific Board, FNS, UCM, Trnava, Slovakia
Slovak Chemical Society, Slovakia
Named Best Junior Researcher in Czechoslovakia (CS Academy of Sciences, Prague, 1977)
Gold Medal of vice president of Guatemala (1997)
Gold Medal of Arab Society of Materials Science, Egypt (1997)
Medal of Rega Institute Leuven, Belgium (2007)
Certificate of Recognition "Who is Who in the World" (16th and 17th "Millennium" Editions)
Doctor honoris causa, Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia (2008)
Published more than 180 publications in international scientific journals, more than 20 books and compenidia more than 9500 citations (Scopus) see also: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stanislav_Miertus <H-index 30>
Selected 10 recent publications:
1. Kongkamnerd J, Cappelletti L, Prandi A, Seneci P, Rungrotmongkol T, Jongaroonngamsang N, Rojsitthisak P, Frecer V, Milani A, Cattoli G, Terregino C, Capua I, Beneduce L, Gallotta A, Pengo P, Fassina G, Miertus S, De-Eknamkul W.: Synthesis and in vitro study of novel neuraminidase inhibitors against avian influenza virus. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 20(6), 2152-7 (2012).
2. Megnassan E, Keita M, Bieri C, Esmel A, Frecer V, Miertus S.: Design of novel dihydroxynaphthoic acid inhibitors of Plasmodium falciparum lactate dehydrogenase. Med. Chem. 8(5), 970-84 (2012).
3. Owono Owono LC, Keita M, Megnassan E, Frecer V, Miertus S.: Design of Thymidine Analogues Targeting Thymidilate Kinase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Tuberc. Res. Treat. 2013(e670836), (2013).
4. Udommaneethanakit T, Rungrotmongkol T, Frecer V, Seneci P, Miertus S, Bren U.: Drugs against avian influenza a virus: design of novel sulfonate inhibitors of neuraminidase N1. Curr. Pharm. Des. 20(21), 3478-87 (2014).
5. Bonini C, Chiummiento L, Di Blasio N, Funicello M, Lupattelli P, Tramutola F, Berti F, Ostric A, Miertuš S, Frecer V, Kong DX.: Synthesis and biological evaluation of new simple indolic non peptidic HIV Protease inhibitors: the effect of different substitution patterns. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 22(17), 4792-802 (2014).
6. Berti F., Frecer V., Miertuš S.: Inhibitors of HIV-protease from computational design. A history of theory and synthesis still to be fully appreciated. Curr. Pharm. Des. 20(21), 3398-3411 (2014).
7. Udommaneethanakit T., Rungrotmongkol T., Frecer V., Seneci P., Miertuš S., Bren U.: Drugs against avian influenza A virus: Design of novel sulfonate inhibitors of neuraminidase N1. Curr. Pharm. Des. 20(21), 3478-3487 (2014).
8. Owono Owono, L. C., Ntie-Kang, F., Keita, M., Megnassan, E., Frecer, V., Miertuš, S.: Virtually designed triclosan-based inhibitors of enoyl-acyl carrier protein reductase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and of Plasmodium falciparum. Mol. Inform. 34(5), 292-307 (2015).
9. Kouassi AF, Kone M, Keita M, Esmel A, Megnassan E, N'Guessan YT, Frecer V, Miertuš S.: Computer-aided design of orally bioavailable pyrrolidine carboxamide inhibitors of enoyl-acyl carrier protein reductase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with favorable pharmacokinetic profiles. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 16(12), 29744-29771 (2015).10. Hajzer, V., Fišera, R., Latika, A., Durmis, J., Kollár, J., Frecer, V., Tučeková, Z., Miertuš, S., Kostolanský, F., Varečková, E., Šebesta, R.: Stereoisomers of oseltamivir - synthesis, in silico prediction and biological evaluation. Org. Biomol. Chem. 15(8), 1828-1841 (2017).